The history of the Mahone Bay Settlers Museum begins in 1979, when the Mahone Bay Founder's Society formed to organize the celebration of Mahone Bay's 225th anniversary. Included amongst the festivities was a re-enactment of the landing of the first settlers in 1754.
The first museum was housed during the summer months in Pioneer Hall, located in the basement of Trinity United Church. However, the Society was determined to have a permanent home. In 1986, the province, through the Nova Scotia Museum, purchased a selection from the collection of china and antique furniture in the Inglis/Quinlan home. Wanting to keep this incredible collection in its home town, the Society began searching for a facility to house the collection.
Renovating the museum
In 1987, the Founder's Society purchased
the Begin Home. Our volunteers then launched themselves into a renovations
campaign, as well as spending countless hours washing, numbering,
photographing and packing the collection under the expert tutelage
of Marie Elwood and the staff at the Nova Scotia Museum. The Mahone
Bay Settlers Museum officially opened its doors in 1988.
Today we stay actively involved with our community through the White Lights Christmas House Tour, Business Association membership, Heritage Advisory Board, festival participation and much more.
Our museum is partially funded by the Department of Tourism, Culture & Heritage through the Community Museum Assistance Program, and the remainder is raised by our Society and members of the community.
The museum building itself is now owned by the Founders Society. The Inglis/Quinlan collection is owned by the province of Nova Scotia and is permanently stored and exhibited here at the Settlers Museum.